For Immediate Release
NATS Student Auditions Regulations Announcement
Dear NATS Colleagues,
Over the course of the last year, the NATS National Student Auditions Committee has been developing revisions to the association’s auditions regulations. Members may have been aware of an approaching announcement, by way of periodic notices in InterNos and the Journal of Singing. It has now been confirmed that the changes also apply at the chapter and district levels.
These regulations create a nationally standardized framework that streamlines branding, communication and administrative processes, more clearly defines adjudication standards, includes all singer populations, clarifies the vetting of repertoire and still allows for flexibility where needed. The new regulations serve to make NATS Student Auditions consistent from chapter to chapter and on par with auditions sponsored by such organizations as MTNA, MENC and NafME. This system advances the integrity of the NATS Student Auditions and creates a consistency on which members and singer participants can rely as they move from one part of the country to another.
This year’s Valley of the Sun Chapter NATS Student Auditions for Musical Theater repertoire will be held on Friday and Saturday November 20-21, 2015 at The Church of the Beatitudes in Phoenix. Based on changes to the category and repertoire requirements in the new regulations, we are pleased to announce that a Contemporary Commercial Music (CCM) category will be added to the auditions this semester. Registration information is forthcoming.
Among the attachments accompanying your email message, you will find the new category definitions and descriptions. Highlights of the changes and their impact on our events are outlined as follows.
- The naming conventions, including roman numerals and lettering are to be used exactly as given, to facilitate nationwide consistency in data reporting from the chapter level. Categories with low entry numbers (2-3) may be combined with next closest in age, study and vocal development according to chapter or district discretion.
- The “age by” date has been restored to the date of the audition being held.
- You will notice longer category times in some instances. We have been advised that category times may be flexible based on specific chapter needs. In the interests of time and ease of scheduling, we will keep any pre-existing time limits that are shorter than those listed.
- Repertoire definitions and number of pieces required are not flexible. Students will sing as much music as possible in the time allowed. Please note that for MT categories, this will require the preparation of additional repertoire in short order.
- We are approved to split the repertoire in to two (2) separate audition dates as we have been doing, MT and Classical. We will be adding the new CCM category to the MT auditions.
- All MT Repertoire must now be from staged Broadway and Off-Broadway The production may be a revue or song cycle, but MUST have been staged. Stand alone/cabaret/TV/film repertoire may be auditioned in the CCM Category.
- All arias from opera, oratorio, mass, cantata, operetta, works titled “concert aria,” or music theater selections must be sung in the original key or an alternate key based on common performance practice. We were informed that this guidline is primarily intended to discourage inappropriate repertoire selection (e.g. against gender, fach or character type.)
- All selections from Oratorio must now be performed from memory. This is true for NATSAA as well as NATS Student Auditions.
- Any questions about gender-identity for singers in transition go directly to the NSA Coordinator.
- Dan Johnson-Wilmot, NSA Coordinator is our point of contact at the national level for questions.
Valley of the Sun Chapter has successully adopted several new processes in the last few years which have increased the efficacy of our programs. I am confident that this latest development will be no different. These thoughtfully prepared calibrations have already helped to settle a great number of questions, and I look forward to putting the new standard into action. We have been assured a direct line to support on the national level to resolve any further implementation questions.
Regional and District Governors and Chapter Presidents were invited to participate in Q & A webinars last week, which have been recorded and are posted online for your access. We were notified on August 12th, that a NATS Student Auditions resources page is now available on line at http://www.nats.org/nsaresources.html. I encourage you to visit and access the instructional video library, adjudicator information, as well as the most up to date version of the regulations document in its entirety.
Thank you for your cooperation, and your service to NATS!
Alexis Davis Hazell, DMA
President, Valley of the Sun Chapter